Monday, September 19, 2011

Luna's Birth Story Part 1

Week 39

My OB had to go on a business trip for a few days and was coming back on April 6 so her strict instruction was that I should not give birth on that week! I sorta knew she didn't have to worry because I didn't think Luna was in any hurry to come out :)
So that week passed uneventfully, and my schedule for the coming week was that I was to have my last ultrasound before my April 14th appointment with my OB. So L and I decided to have the ultrasound in the morning, get the results, and then go to the doctor's appointment at 3pm. We proceed to the maternity floor of MMC where I was to have my Ultrasound. I've been here many times and I knew that this was also where we would go when it was time to give birth (we learned this from our Birth Classes -do not go to the ER, go straight to the labor room). I must say that I had a different feeling about the place knowing that we were very close to the main event. So after waiting in line for about 40 mins, I finally take my turn. A different doctor is doing my ultrasound this time and when I see her I feel instantly at ease. She was very thorough, pleasant and took time to make small talk and ask me if I had questions. I tell ya, after the whole pregnancy thing you sort of become an expert in these procedures. The other experiences I have require a separate blog entry all together. But I digress.

Basically, the gist of that ultrasound was that baby's doing very very well - all internal organs are as they should be: very strong heart, baby's in right position, amniotic fluid levels are sufficient etc. But here comes the shocker: she estimates (based on chest + abdomen size) that Luna was probably about 7++ pounds already! See the thing is, I was now at my 39th week but I am not too big. Other people even say my tummy seems small and my other parts don't "look pregnant". I guess they have this notion that all preggy girls need to be manas (bloated). So imagine my surprise at the thought that I was having a 7 pound baby. My next thought was, "Can i handle labor without undergoing a CS (I really didn't want to)?". So these were our thoughts when we went to my OB in the afternoon. I didn't say anything, but when she saw the report herself, she told me her concern that if I don't go on labor soon, the baby might be too big come labor day, making me at risk for a CS delivery. Luna's estimated date of arrival was April 24, which was still10 days away. My doctor examines me internally and makes a note that I am 1 cm dilated, same as the week before. Baby's not engaging, just growing! She then makes the decision, with our agreement, to speed things up a bit by giving me something to ripen/soften my cervix. We quickly go down to Mercury to get it (I think it was called CerviPrime) and she applies the gel like substance using a spatula inside my cervix. She tells me I could go on labor in about 2 to 3 days, and if I still don't, I should return to her. We say goodbye and she tells me she hopes to see me in a few days and gives me last instructions to keep walking. "Walk all over Makati if you could!", she says. We return to the office just across MMC and update my uncle and auntie about the developments. About 30 mins after leaving the doctor's clinic I felt some pain in my abdomen but it was the kind that came and went. At around 5 pm we go home and while in the car I drift off to sleep. I wake up feeling a bit heavy and continued my nap at home until about 7 pm when it was time for dinner. At this point, I was already feeling some pain but I still wasn't sure if this was "it" - it seemed too mild. Hours pass, I try to sleep but it doesn't come. I read a book, surf the net but still feel uneasy. Then things started making a turn...

11 pm - I started to entertain the the thought that I maybe was in labor. The waves of pain would come and go at 30 then 20 then 10 minutes apart... Each time it came I would feel pain and I would try to do the breathing exercises they taught us in class. But after some time, I could barely distract myself from it. I didn't know whether to sit up or lay in bed -none of them were comfortable. We call our doctor to ask if I should go to the hospital already and she says to wait until the pain is really unbearable. OK.

12 midnight - Pain is driving me crazy, I cannot even speak or think straight when it comes. I keep going in and out of the bathroom to pee and see if my water has broke. It hasn't. L is asking me at this point if I want to go to the hospital but I say no. I was thinking what if this is false labor? Besides my doctor said only when the pain becomes unbearable. I felt I could stil handle it but frankly that resolve was going by the minute.

1am - I remember that at this point I was already seated facing the headboard, facedown into a pillow while L and my auntie massaged my lower back. Even that didn't help. My contractions are now about 6-8 minutes apart. I was definitely going into labor. I tried to hang on. I willed myself to take on the pain, imagine the Luna making her way out. I kept praying the Hail Marys in my head.

2am - It's time! Contractions are now 5 mins apart and frankly, I don't know what to do with myself anymore. L loads our stuff in the car, we go to Lolo's room and see that he is awake. I tell him "Masakit na tiyan ko" (My tummy hurts already), and he gets this worried look on his face and then prays over me. We are off to MMC. I am in pain but I can't explain the anticipation mixed with a little bit of fear. Maybe it was an adrenalin rush. In the car, I kept praying and talking to Luna. This must be so scary for her too I realized.

2:20am - We quickly park and then go straight up to the 5th floor. It's so bare and quiet and COLD. Really cold. We talk to a nurse by the small window to say I'm on labor and they let us in. In a few mins I get strapped into bed and hooked up to a monitor. Nurses ask me questions, fill out forms. I manage to cooperate. Until Nurse #2 and then Nurse #3 ask me the same questions and ask me to fill out another form. I lose it and go cranky on them. They get it and leave me alone. The resident in charge is a nice man and gets what I need, talks to me in a soothing voice, says sorry this is painful but he needs to check me. He confirms that my contractions are 5 mins apart and that it's a good thing I didn't give birth before reaching the hospital. And then he does an IE on me and it is the most painful thing EVER!!! I have decided by this time to get the epidural. It was that or lose my sanity. A few minutes later, salvation comes. My back gets cleaned up, someone in front of me holds my hand while my back is given the first shot to numb the spot where the epidural line would be made. Then the second needle goes in - I could feel it being inserted. Just some pressure, no pain. And then something cold splashes from the top of my spine all the way down my lower back. And instantly I feel well. Relaxed. A few minutes more they tuck me into bed and tell me to sleep. I try. All this time i hear Luna's heartbeat in the room from the fetal monitor attached to my tummy. Like a lullaby. I think I drift off to sleep, dreaming of my baby.


To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment